A Mission Statement

As a student very unfamiliar with the range of technologies available to both gather and disperse information. I am trying out the umwblogs to gain a fuller understanding of what is out there for me to use. The whole goal of course is to learn how to manipulate the new and ever expanding resources, then eventually move off onto my own space with a new, well-honed set of skills. To begin, thank you for being the guinea pigs of this experiment!

Any good endeavor requires a sense of purpose, a mission statement. It’s like the champagne bottle one would break on the hull of a new ship to christen its future voyages abroad. Without a purpose or creative goals, the space, while it starts out with tons of life and vivacity, just sort of fizzles before too long. So, all that being said, I am here to gather online resources for studying Chinese language, monitor and display my own progress with the language, try to find quirky things about China to share, such as videos, songs whatever. But also, as a Mary Washington student double-majoring in History and Anthropology, I would like to share the types of research that I conduct, which Lord willing will have a solid anchor in China. The Mission is broad, but its overarching purpose is to relate information about China in new ways. We are moving past the day and age of just reading about things in textbooks, hearing about the world in lectures. As students or even just people desiring to expand their horizons, we must tap into new resources to get to the heart of a global perspective. So, we will be learning together. Although the blog may not be updated all the time, expect some interesting things here and there as I explore the new world being crafted; by whom? It is an awfully complicated answer, or maybe it isn’t (I haven’t figured that out yet : P) So, let’s sally forth!

One Response to “A Mission Statement”

1. Dr. C. says:

Sally forth, no half measures, and enjoy this cool WP theme. Cool is a fundamental educational affordance–there’s even research to back that up (see Donald Norman and “Emotional Design”).