Moving Beyond Gathering

With the Fall season upon us, I can’t help but think about the idea of harvesting, gathering up the crops…and somehow connect it all back to my own research projects. In such a way the fields of grains become transformed into field of ideas, waiting to be taken up and used.

Harvest Time.

While other students have reaped the benefits of well-sown thoughts and research, I am still waiting with sickle in hand. The fact is, the harvest does not just happen if you are sitting down and looking at the potential for your crops. It takes one going out into the fields and collecting what has already grown so bountifully. I link this idea more to concepts and thoughts than I do to building a bibliography or even writing out the paper. Ideas, unlike bibliographies, grow naturally and freely. They do not require but a little bit of care.
Wheat head above field

However we don’t have a usable product, it takes some manipulation and energy to convert the wheat into flour, the flour into bread. We act on it as creators ourselves and build something more. Yet, notice that although the products we create are truly amazing, they do not touch the natural beauty of ideas in their purest forms.

The fine, usable product at the end of the road does not come easily. As I have looked out on my field of ideas, I have forgotten just why I could fail, looking at the field is not enough.Like in the very first picture, I need to go down and collect the ideas and then begin the process of grinding them down and digging deeper.
Best Grinding Machine in the World ;)

It takes force, effort, and strength to make the project happen. Doing the work can require meticulous effort. I spent tonight building spreadsheets of my readings and realized that I need to do such long ago. I not only started the harvest late, but now my production is late too. As I built the spreadsheet and saw just how much I had to do, I was baffled at the workload but relieved that now I could see the field of ideas shifting to actions, readings, notes, papers. The ideas have done their part and grown strong, won’t I at the very least get out of my seat and do something?  I am not relying on the grocery store to feed me, I am a lone man on these fields, and as such I need to bear the burden and see the seeds I planted to their full fruition. From farm to plate I must give a full effort–everyday, little by little.

The Bread Pt 1: Le Panier, Macrina, Dahlia Bakery